Sunday, May 1, 2011


Perhaps He didn't speak and rather I just interpreted certain events and changed my actions because of them. I prefer to think we have communication. Here is what transpired:
The weather forecast called for a stout wind and possible thunderstorms this morning. Sunrise was at 6:47, meaning my start time would be 6:35, leaving the house at 6:15, thus out of bed at 5 (to take medication an hour before breakfast). Once again, I turned over one too many times and actually started moving 15 minutes late. To make up time, I made all preparations, including getting dressed, before breakfast, having first checked the radar and seeing no green.
I've said it before: changing your routine requires extra thought and woe to those who ignore this fact. So, six minutes into driving to my start I realized I'd forgotten my computer (I had the chest strap on, but the computer was next to the computer). It's not that I can't do the loop without, but I wanted to monitor the heart-rate. This extra fifteen minutes meant the sun was up, thus the wind would be stronger as I headed into it, and there would be more bikes and cars on the road.
Computer secured, I headed back to the start place. Almost there I realized that I had forgotten my water (filled with PowerAde) bottles (twice, actually). Putting me an additional half hour behind would mean I'd be in church traffic (three churches) for the first hour and two churches and a golf course in the last hour. I had two 20oz bottles of water and, although not intending to wear it, my Camelbak, which had several Clif bars, so plans changed.
Regular water bottles, with screw caps, meant having to stop to drink (I had the Camelbak but the reservoir was hanging in the garage, drying out). Instead of sipping continuously (or, every few minutes), I now had to pull over and stop, because I don't ride without a hand on the bars.
Once I started rolling, it became quite evident I had no legs today. Stopping to drink and eat actually gave me about five short rest stops, contributing to getting me through the 42 miles without cramping or bonking. The long stops were about a minute, the short ones 30 seconds. Having to wear the Camelbak added time. But, since God had given me multiple signals (remember the joke about the guy who drowned waiting for God?), before turning a pedal I had already resigned myself to being pedestrian and following His will. He saw to it I had a good ride today.

No comments:

Post a Comment