Thursday, January 19, 2012

DECISIONS, DECISIONS...

A few weeks ago I removed the aerobars from the road bike. This is no easy task, I didn't get the top-of-the-line, easy-to-install types. My previous ones only lasted about seven years, but they were the kind that flipped up and gave you an extra hand position fairly close to the stem. When I replaced them, I went for a more sleek look. Unfortunately, if I wanted that extra hand position, I now had to hold on to the arm rests. So, I figured I'd be doing shorter or slower rides in the winter, plus my weekly hill routine, and therefore took them off.

The weather is not cold, but there is more wind. In looking at my ride stats, I can see how much time I'm losing against the wind. Time, in and of itself, is not the problem. I've never done well in the wind, and my stats tell the tale: I can't get my heart rate up to attain a decent workout. It may be all in my head, but when I try to go hard against the wind, my quads rebel and either go limp or cramp. Bah!

This morning the aerobars were re-installed. Generally, they give me an extra 2 mph against the wind, but more importantly, in cheating the wind, my legs are much happier and so I can work them harder, ergo the heart-rate goes up.

I'd like to report that in this 80 degree, slight wind day, I had a great ride. What I had was several appointments during the day and my only contact with the bike involved installing the aerobars. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment