Friday, November 29, 2013

HEALTH IS RELATIVE

   
As regular readers know, I occasionally ruminate on the subject of health.  For instance, the theme of a previous post was that health was not an "either/or" but a continuum, with one end of the spectrum being excellent health and the other death.  Just because you are not ill does not mean you are healthy.
     The problem with hanging around too much with senior athletes, be they cyclists, runners, gym-rats, or swimmers, is that you form the opinion that you are "average."  Then you get jolted back to reality when you contact an actual average group of folks your age.  For the most part, I keep my elitism to myself, mainly because I feel like I'm extremely lucky to be where I am.  That doesn't keep unkind thoughts from running through my brain.  Why people choose to smoke, eat excessively or make really poor choices in food is beyond my comprehension.  When faced with certain ill-health, like heart disease or diabetes, why would they not choose to change their lifestyle to become more healthy??  Don't bother to give me the reasons, I don't want to hear them.
     Not long ago, a cycling friend broke her shoulder ('twould have been better had it been the collarbone).  She couldn't wait to get back cycling.  I recently visited a cycling buddy who fell (while cycling) and broke his arm and hip.  Foremost on his mind was how long it would be before he could get back on his bike.  Several times I posted about coming in second in the Texas Road Race Championships to a guy age 79.  First I was astounded, because when you pass 70 strength deteriorates and you really have to work hard to keep up.  But rather than grouse about being beat by an "old guy," I use him as my canary as to what still is ahead of me.
     I work at being healthy, perhaps overly so but I don't think so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment