Monday, January 29, 2018

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES

     I've broached this subject before, but that doesn't stop me from hitting it again.  As Professor Dumbledore so sagely said: "It is our choices, Jerry (I substituted me for Harry), that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."    Last year the Senior Games National Time Trials were held outside Birmingham, Alabama.  Those who previewed the courses came back with horror stories about the difficulty, due to the hills.
     Twice before I competed at Nationals and failed to make the top ten, although fastest from Texas when I finished thirteenth and eighteenth.  I was fairly confident of a top ten finish in Birmingham, and pretty sure of getting at least fifth.  When I rode the course the day before racing, I was somewhat dismayed that we would start the 10k going up, then a long downhill, a roller, a rough patch about a hundred meters across a dam, then a narrow turn-around.  Of course I reasoned everyone else had the same ride.
     I use my road bike with aero bars for recon rides.  That long uphill would be a problem.  But the finish would be blazing fast, as long as I had the oomph to push it.  The next day I started off at a moderate pace, not wanting to get in the red at the beginning of the race.  I had plenty of juice for the downhill, but at a long curve actually had to come out of my tuck for a few seconds.  I understand one person ran off the road here later.  I felt good, hit the turn-around, and eventually made it up the long hill (9 mph) and blasted the downhill to the finish, right behind my one-minute man.  It took quite awhile for the results and I was super surprised and pleased to see that I came in second.
     That afternoon I relaxed and started planning the next day's 5k.  Rather than just let us run the first half of the 10k course, the organizers again had us doing an out-and-back.  Originally the start line was the same uphill, but that would put the turn-around on a downhill.  The hue and cry finally had them relent somewhat, and they moved the start so we had a flatish beginning, then down the big hill, then the turn-around on a slight uphill.  Many of us contemplated using road bikes because of the uphill.  I debated, agonizingly weighed the pros and cons, and decided to go with the road bike and aero bars and the TT bike's Zipp wheels.  What was I thinking!!!
     On the downhill I glanced at the computer and saw two miles per hour slower than yesterday.  Wasn't even close to getting out of my tuck on the curve.  On the uphill, where I expected to make up time, I saw 8 mph.  My one minute man was in sight, but not close.  Well, that was depressing.  Historically, I do much better in the 10k than the 5k, so I was thinking at best a 3rd.  As it turned out, I earned 8th place. 
     Disappointment washed over me.  Not so much of the placing, but of my poor choice of bike.  The lack of confidence that I could power the TT bike up the hill sticks in my craw.  I didn't think I'd lose so much time on the downhill and made up no time going back up.  But wait a minute!  I came to Nationals hoping for top ten, and that was achieved.  Plus, I learned a powerful (but oft repeated) lesson: you go with what brung ya.
     Racing in 2017 was really a spectacular year for me: entered twelve races and took home eight gold, two silver, a bronze, and 8th.  However,  8th place taught me the most.  I currently have twenty races lined up for 2018 and expect to do well.  Even with a coach, and a new bike (stay tuned) I don't think I can duplicate last year.  I do expect to make better choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment