Thursday, January 11, 2018

EXERCISE, BREAK THE HABIT!!

     The title is just to get your attention.  The blog is about how easy it is to break the habit.  Earlier this morning, Carolyn Defoore posted in Shott Performance Coaching an easy loosening routine called Myrtl.  When I first signed up with Owen (Shott, coach), several months ago, he sent me the link to Myrtl and it became part of my workout calendar.  This morning, while drinking my wake-up glass of water (this is a habit I don't break: 12 ounces of water as soon as I stagger into the kitchen), I confessed that I had skipped a few days (more like a few weeks, I blame Christmas) and had stiff joints.  Now, it might have been being beaten up by the wind for a couple hours on the bike yesterday, but at least part of it I ascribe to lack of Myrtl.
     It reminded me just how easy it is to do something (anything) other than exercise.  I guess I average fifteen hours a week on the bike, so it isn't like I'm a couch potato.  It's the other exercises that pose the problem.
     #1 advice on the exercise chart is to pick something you like, can do, and can commit to.  It doesn't have to be strenuous.  I am a big proponent of yoga, and stayed with it about ten years before getting more involved in cycling.  Lately I've noticed a tightening of my lower back muscles and that walking was an easy exercise that would loosen them up.  Myrtl is another easy exercise you can do while the coffee brews.
     Sticking with your exercise is the hard part.  It's best if you have a routine.  Of course, when the routine gets interrupted, it takes strong commitment to stay with exercise.  For instance, my morning routine is to wake up, have my water, pull up the computer to catch up, and once my wife is up and moving, make the coffee.  While brewing, I do some hand/wrist exercises and hip circles.  Between coffee and breakfast I do Myrtl, CoreX (another 5 minute exercise from Coach Owen) or planks or push-ups.  After breakfast I get ready to ride (unless it is too cold, too windy, too early).  Christmas decorating, undecorating, guests, you-name-it sometimes gets me out of routine.  The first to suffer is non-biking exercise.
     I have found that after cycling, my body (actually my mind) wants no more exercise.  This takes a little explanation.  If the ride hasn't been too strenuous, like under three hours, I will put the bike away and do about fifteen minutes of stretching (yoga type).   If longer or particularly depleting of electrolytes, I forego the stretching until later.  I learned the hard way that depleted muscles will cramp.  Also, social rides that end with a few carbohydrate-replacing beers fall into that category.   "Later" most times never happens.
     This is why Myrtl, yoga type exercises and walking are important.  They can be done anytime and aren't strenuous.  Stretching can be done in your house and walking can be started right outside your front door.  95% of those who read this blog are athletes, committed to their sport.  But your sport-specific exercises might be ignoring the rest of your body.  Enhance your performance, get your whole body involved. 
     BTW, a review of my posts show I've broached this subject several times in the past, December 13, 2011 and December 29, 2014 among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment