Friday, November 15, 2019

MISSISSIPPI RIVER LEVEE RIDE

     Regular readers will remember that several years ago I realized that of the forty states I had ridden in, the four states bordering Texas were not included.  I set out to remedy that and immediately booked a tour (Velo View Tours, my go-to company for fantastic experiences) in New Mexico and followed that up with a gravel tour in Arkansas.  A little research this year revealed the hike/bike levee ride out of New Orleans.  Marilane and I love New Orleans, and made it an addition after a necessary trip to Baton Rouge.  I'm only including the cycling experience in this blog.
     When planning the trip we hadn't even considered a bone-chilling cold front.  It wasn't a surprise, the forecast a week out predicted it.  I had my cold weather gear packed.  While I prefer to leave early and finish early, the 32 degrees (F) low had me waiting a few hours to allow the sun to warm things up a tad.  Two hours after sun up, the temperature finally budged up to 34.  Pook!  As I've gotten older I generally wait until over 40 degrees before venturing out on training rides.  I bade Marilane have a good tour of the WWII museum, picked up our car, and drove to Audubon Park.
     https://www.traillink.com/trail/mississippi-river-trail-(louisiana)/ says the trail is 60.8 miles in length and goes all the way to the Bonnet Carré Spillway.   https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/louisiana/mississippi-river-trail shows this as 25.7 miles and I suspect there is some break-up after that.  In any case, my plan was only for the 25 miles out, then back.    From parking lot to trail was only a quarter mile, then I was off on my new adventure.
     Less than a minute into riding I stopped to adjust my buff.  I'd covered my ears and head, but now included lips and chin.  The northeast wind was biting, even though probably no more than 8 mph.  Off again.  Mid-week and cold, I had the trail to myself.  Looking down at the computer just brought tears to my eyes, so I kept my head up and watched the cars on the street to my right.
     As I knew I would, after about ten minutes most of my body was comfortably warm.  The exceptions were my nose and fingers (even with long-fingered gloves).  I knew the river was on my left but couldn't see it.  On my right were houses. Let's get to my recommendations and expectations for cycling this yourself.
     There are occasional views of the river.  I saw large ocean-going ships anchored mid-river, a few docked and loading or unloading.  Mostly I looked at the houses below the levee.  Apparently this is prime real estate, in that all the houses were well kept, lots of really large homes with large lots.  There is no "scenery," but the asphalt is smooth.  This ride is best done with one or more friends so you can comment on the houses, boats, airplanes (the trail goes close to the airport, I had a landing plane go over my head).  You will probably use three gears,


tops, but mostly just the one gear.  I've read reviews saying this is a boring ride.  It certainly can be, you just need to adjust your expectations.  If you have a choice, pick a nice springtime day, mid-week.  In my forty miles I saw six cyclists, three skate-boarders, maybe ten folks walking dogs, two joggers.  A day on the weekend will see whole lots more.
     Back to my ride.  As I approached Destrehan, I got tired of not feeling my numb fingers and I wasn't pedaling a decent speed.  It was time to turn around.  I pedaled past the Destrehan Plantation (you could tour it as a break in your ride) and stopped a little ways further under the I-310 bridge at a trash can to use as a bike prop.  I walked around in small circles, one hand under my armpit, the other holding a Clif bar.  I usually restrict my breaks to five minutes or less but this was an exception that lasted maybe ten.  The feeling returned to the fingers and I mounted up for the return trip.  Pook, ding-fu!  The wind shifted a bit, from northeast (in my face) to east (now on my left shoulder).  I had hoped to have it somewhat behind me.  Of course, with the turning of the river, sometimes it was.  In any case, my time out was about the same as the time back: 92 minutes out, including break and 88 minutes back, including potty stop.  There are nice rest rooms next to the levee in St. Rose.
     Perhaps in the future I'll have another, better, opportunity to see if this really goes to Bonnet Carré Spillway.  Better yet, why don't you go and email me how it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment