Saturday, November 15, 2014

PRE-RACE CHECKLIST

     It is time I faced the facts.  A review of my race-blogs reveals what is quite evident.  I am always leaving something out.  Usually it is computer-related; I never get in a proper warm-up.  Several years ago I was setting up the bike and trainer when I realized the quick-release didn't fit; I had forgotten to change it out.  Once I brought the wrong shoes.  That was early on and only happened once.  You might ask how that occurred:  My road bike transition to racing consists of switching out wheels and pedals (which also means going from SPDs to Sidi shoes).  I brought the SPD shoes.
     Last week-end's Individual Time Trial in Gruene brought my lack of pre-race comprehension clearly into focus.  Being cognizant of my speed is more or less a security blanket, since as far as I can tell, I'm working as hard as I can.  But I like to see if I can squeeze just a little bit more speed by moving to a bigger gear.  Forgetting to turn on the GPS and not realizing it was a wake-up call.  I didn't have the right electrolyte; I forgot the pickle juice.  None of these were a big detriment, and in the grand scheme of things, didn't matter at all because there were no other racers in my category.
      I have until February to compile two lists: one for packing and one for pre-race activity.  No more leaving it up to my leaky-sieve memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment