Sunday, February 16, 2020

STRAVA ME

     Yesterday I rode with Velo View on the Dripping Springs ride.  I did this route once before with Velo View a few years ago and it is very nice.  It has its ups and downs, great views, very little traffic.  There were a few minor hiccups, but this post isn't about the ride itself.  It's about me and Strava.  One of the things about being old and riding with younger folks is that most of the time you are struggling to keep up, so you don't get an honest perspective as to how you stack up against guys your own age.  This doesn't matter much usually, but when you race against guys your own age, your fitness matters a lot.  So yesterday I was just following wheels, or solo in the case of the last eight miles trying, and failing, to keep up with Dan and Dani on their mechanically-challenged tandem.
     According to my Garmin, there were only about 300 feet of elevation gain, but we did it enough times to get in about 1,500 feet of climbing in 36 miles of the route some of us took.  I didn't think I was going hard until the last eight miles.  But when I got home and looked at Strava, I counted seven PR's and ten 2nd place medals.  Of course, since this was only the second time on this route, that was to be expected.  This is a popular course for cyclists, and this got me thinking it would be an opportunity to check the 75+ age group on Strava.  So I pulled up all of the segments to see how I fared.  The results include both of my rides.
     There were twenty-four segments on my route.  My times placed me 1st in nine of them, 2nd in ten, 3rd in four, and 5th in one.  So that pretty much strokes my ego.  Of course, a lot of those times were twice as much as what the fastest riders were laying down, so we must keep perspective.  One thing I'm thankful for is that Steve Corothers and Bebe Lapin don't race.  If any of you know them, say 'Hi" for me.
     Racing season is fast approaching and I know I'm still not ready.  But yesterday was a boost of confidence.  Now all I need is some warm, sunny days.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment