Friday, March 27, 2020

CYCLING VS MOWING THE LAWN

     Normally I'd not bring this up, but Covid-19 seemingly compels me to make blog entries.  Yesterday I had a scheduled two-hour ride and determined I'd go (generally) east to Taylor on the very nice, wide right-of-way Chandler Road.  It takes a half-hour to get to CR119, also with a nice, wide right-of-way, so that would be my warm-up before upping the wattage a bit for an hour of out-and-back.  That was the plan.
     The wind was pretty stout out of the SSE, basically into my right shoulder on Chandler.  All was going according to plan when I had a sudden urge to pee.  Shouldn't have had the coffee this morning.  Chandler Road is open and fairly busy.  I did a body check and figured there was no way I could go another hour and fifteen minutes without stopping for relief.  And that is how I ended up doing my Limmer/Dump ride.  I took the next left turn off Chandler and cruised, with the wind now at my back, down CR 101 and newly planted corn fields on both sides of the road.  No traffic.  Relief.
     Well, I enjoyed going north but it was a slow slog coming back on CR 130 and 108.  This route is a known two-hour ride and sure enough I finished just short of two hours.  Not the workout I'd planned, but still a good two hours of cycling.
     Then came lunch, a short nap, and cutting the grass.  Front and back yards usually take an hour.  I have a nice John Deere self-propelled lawn mower.   I mulch rather than bag.  All I have to do is guide it, turn around when necessary, and saunter along behind.  I had a glass of water before starting and one after.  My shirt was dripping wet, and other apparel appropriately damp.  I was whipped!  Sadly, this wasn't unusual. It doesn't matter whether or not I've done exercise prior, I'm in need of several hours recovery each time.  Currently we use a lawn service every other week.  Creeping into my mind is the possibility I give them my responsibility also.

No comments:

Post a Comment