Wednesday, January 29, 2020

CANARY IN THE COAL MINE

     I've written about my friend Dean before.  He is a former Senior Games national champion and we occasionally team up to compete in team competition, winning more than not.  For two out of five years we are competitors in solo races.  The other three years he is "safe."  When we first met fifteen years ago, he beat me like a drum.  For the last couple of years I've been faster.  But that's neither here nor there.
     I use Dean as my canary.  He's three years older than I, probably closer to four.  At our age a couple of years makes a big difference.  I remember when he turned 68 he said that that was as fast (i.e. strong) as he could be, and from then on he couldn't get faster.  Well, he continued to beat me, but not by as much and a few years later I finally could take him in the time trials and be competitive in the road races.  But then I turned 68.  I didn't get faster.
     But what with working harder, longer, and new technology, I didn't get any slower.  Experience also helped.  My best years, competitively, were when I was 71 and 72.  Then faster guys entered the age group. Of course, when I turned 75 I left them behind for a few years.   My times stayed relatively the same for about ten years.
     When we meet a couple of times a year at races, I always check him out and discuss what he is going through.  A little while ago he said he could no longer do two hard training days in a row.  If he had a hard day, he would take the next day off.  Well, two weeks ago I did a long, hard ride and had to take the next day off, and the second day was still recovery mode.  This past Monday I rode four miles longer and finished about the same time.  I managed to do a recovery ride on my trainer on Tuesday, but my legs are still tired.  It may take a few years before I have to completely take the next day off, but that day is coming.  My canary told me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment