Friday, January 3, 2020

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP!

     I'm running out of excuses to avoid riding.  But that won't stop me from whining about it.  A well-outfitted cyclist has apparel for all kinds of weather.  I consider myself well-outfitted.  Whether or not I choose to wear them is the crux of the situation.  Let me point out a few revelations, most of which are not new to me.
     I don't like being cold.  I have tights (Under Armour calls them fitted leggings).  I even have fleece tights for really cold weather (thanks, Byran).  I have a nice thermal jacket, full finger gloves, winter socks.  I have a buff that doubles as a balaclava.  In cold weather I especially like to have my ears covered.  But it isn't the temperature that keeps me off the bike.  It's either the lack of sunshine or a brisk wind.  A combination of both will generally push me onto the trainer in the kitchen.  Of course, the remedy for this is to ride with a group.  Groups mostly have an upbeat attitude which overcomes cloudy days, and you can find someone to ride behind to hide from the wind.  That's more difficult during the week, when most folks have to work.
     I don't like being wet.  I have a rain jacket, rain pants, booties, even a helmet cover.  I see nothing positive from going out and slogging through the rain.  That said, I've been known to pack my rain jacket in case I get caught in the rain.  I'll check the radar and if it looks possible, then off I go.  Maybe if I just cleaned my bike I'll wait for a better day.  Of course, I have more than one bike, so that is an option.
     I don't like riding at night.  I have lights.  Not the zillion lumen ones that you can land a plane with, but sufficient.  I found out recently (Christmas lights ride that I bailed on) that my light attachment doesn't really fit the new handlebars on my Roark, and would not stay firm.  So I need to engineer a fix. Plus, the night vision is beginning to wane (old age, enough said).  It will take something extraordinary to get me out at night.  Of course, gloomy daylight might require a flashing headlight, especially for in-city riding.
     I really don't like wind.  It is depressing to be working your muscles so hard and see 10 mph on the computer.  This was somewhat mollified when I started using a power meter and training with it.  If the schedule calls for 180 watts, it doesn't matter if you're going 10 or 12 mph.  I'd rather be doing 20-22, but what the heck.  If I'm out in a stiff wind for a couple hours however, I won't do it two days in a row.  Wind really beats me up.
     I know what I need to do to achieve my goals.  It's either suck it up or change my goals.  Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment