Sunday, March 6, 2022

CYCLING IN THE WIND

If I didn't need the mileage, I'd have stayed home.  But I do, and cycling on the trainer in the kitchen wasn't going to be sufficient.  At least it wasn't cold.  Today's was a zone 2, put in a couple hours sort of ride.  My schedule calls for two per week but in looking at the weather forecast, that might be a problem.  The other days are specific training: cadence, jumps or accelerations, power.

My go-to, thirty mile,  two-plus hour ride has me leaving from home, through the neighborhoods to the Brushy Creek Regional Trail which ends by Kalahari Resorts.  Then through Old Settlers Park and more neighborhoods until I reach Chandler Road.  It is an out-and-back route.  For longer rides I can then go east to Taylor or north to Walburg.  


When I left the house the wind came mostly from the south, with maybe a little SE direction.  Most of the first part headed east so I had the wind coming from the side.  I was happy for the Brushy Creek section, in that it protected me from most of the wind and is a nice, scenic, concrete trail.  Being concrete, it is a tad bumpy but I've gotten used to it.  

Most of getting through Old Settlers was north, so I had the wind at my back.  Likewise Red Bud Trail.  Then the road turned east at Limmer Loop.  County Rd 108 and 119 were also north.  The upshot was that I cruised most of the outbound with the wind at my back.  Then I turned around.

First I dropped to the small chain ring, then went up a few cogs.  It wasn't like it came as a surprise.  I anticipated an hour going out and an hour and fifteen minutes coming back.  As it turned out, I was only off by a few minutes.  Coming back against the wind didn't seem as tough and I didn't feel like I'd been through the wringer.  Maybe I'm finally getting a bit of form.  

No comments:

Post a Comment