Tuesday, March 29, 2022

WHY I CYCLE ON GREAT NORTHERN

 I just received notice from Strava that I lost my Local Legend on one of the segments at Great Northern.  I lose this segment on a regular basis, as me and someone else have the same regimen.  Truthfully, I care not a whit about being a Local Legend.  So, the short answer as to why I'm riding up and down this stretch is quite simple: I'M OLD!!    

Of course, there is more to the story.  But the truth is, the older you get the less you like change.  Let's start with Great Northern itself, for those not familiar with it.  This is a 1.3 mile straight, flatish street with a dual bike lane and no cross streets/stop signs.  During the day, when I ride, there isn't much traffic and what traffic there is is accustomed to cyclists, runners, and dog-walkers.  I can do my various drills in relative solitude, staying mostly in my lane and dodging walkers.  It runs north-south and is next to a railroad track (hence the name) and is maybe twenty or so feet below the tracks.  As a result, between the houses and the track, the street is somewhat protected from the wind.  My other practice spot is Old Settlers Park in Round Rock, where I can do my "jumps" practice and acceleration drills.  I'm not spending a lot of time at Old Settlers currently because of the wind.  Unlike Great Northern, Old Settlers is on a hill and always has more wind than in Austin.  Hopefully I'll spend more time there in April.

The length of Great Northern lends itself to my cadence drills and acceleration drills.  One cadence drill calls for three sets of five minutes each at 90, 100, 110 rpm.  It takes not quite five minutes to go end-to-end so whatever it takes is what I do.  This drill doesn't require a specific watts output.  Another drill is a cadence ladder: 3 sets of 10 reps 30 seconds each at 90,100,110 and 30 seconds rest.  I might have to fudge a bit when I turn around at each end.  I also do acceleration drills.  I accelerate for a set time, like 15 or 30 seconds at a set wattage.  There is one other drill I do here that I can't do at Old Settlers.  It is a "white line" drill.  I do this when warming up or cooling down or anytime I'm not doing another drill.  It consists of seeing how long I can ride on the white line separating the bike lane from the driving lane.  This drill helps with balance and smoothing your cadence.  Of course, I still have to dodge walkers and I move over for cars.

Another reason I go back and forth on Great Northern is that I hate riding on Shoal Creek.  Most of the "regulars" I see do the loop.  I did too, until the city installed a "protected" bike lane.  Back to my original reason: this street fits my needs quite well and I see no reason to search out some other place.  But even as I type the last sentence, I'm reminded that I announced last Sunday that I need to change my 50 mile Sunday route.  Chandler Road out to Taylor has become too busy.  I love the smooth asphalt, the few inclines, no stopping.  But the traffic is fast and too many drivers are getting too close.  This was the road I'd use for my 20-minute FTP test.  So yes, I can still change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment